Trace Your Ancestors – have you written up your Bucket List? Things you want to do or see before you, well, depart this earth? Or ‘kick the bucket’ as Jack Nicholson put it in the Bucket List movie a few years ago? Where does “Trace Your Ancestors” appear on your Bucket List? Or does it at all? If you’ve never considered genealogy or family history research, now is the time to reconsider. There’s never been a better time for it. Here’s the top reasons why it should be on your Bucket List (or better yet, on your To Do List starting tomorrow…)
- Technology has made searching so much easier. The internet, software programs, preservation resources. Everything’s aligned to make the job of looking for your ancestors a breeze.
- It’s a low cost hobby. Relatively speaking. There are lots of free search tools and the Latter Day Saint church has free family history centers worldwide. You can get a lot done for close to nothing.
- You’ll meet some pretty nice people. Did you ever meet a family historian you didn’t like? How bad can somebody be who’s searching for his great great great grandmother?
- Six degrees of separation. You’ll be amazed at who you’re connected to in some way, and you may find some famous (and infamous) relatives.
- You’ll get to meet new family members. This is the fun part. Maybe you’ll even love it so much that you’ll organize a family reunion every few years.
- You’ll learn more…about history, other countries, how people lived at different times.
- You’ll become an expert…a family historian. You’ll find yourself fielding questions from people who need advice on finding their ancestors.
Tracing the lives of your ancestors can be challenging but so much fun once you get the hang of it. it will open up a whole new and interesting world to you.
Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet